iPad as Reason Controller
The below should set you up to use your iPad with Propellerheads Reason. Since I’m using a Korg microKONTROL as well, I’ve drawn a layout that is aimed at transport and mixer controls that you use everywhere, not at keyboards. This is work in progress; not all the controls are hooked up yet in the OSCD patch (pretty much everything above the fader battery isn’t connected).
- Buy TouchOSC on your iPad
- Download and unzip: 2010-04-29-ReasonOSCkit-nr.zip
- Load the .touchosc file to your iPad (using touchOSC editor; follow the instructions in the programs)
- Buy and start OSCulator, open Reason.oscd, keep it running
- Fire up Reason, select Reason > Preferences…, goto Keyboards and Control surfaces, Add an
controller and hook it up to MIDI input “OSCulator out”.
- Select Options > Remote Override Edit Mode, then one by one, doubleclick the control you want to connect (e.g., record button), then press/turn/slide the corresponding control on the iPad.
- Save your reason song to save your overrides along with the contents of the rack.
Thursday April 29, 2010 / sound / front page